Teeth whitening strips are fantastic ways for us to improve our smiles at home. While they are not quite as effective as a teeth whitening procedure conducted by a dentist or hygienist, they still can work wonders. However, there are right and wrong ways to use these strips, which is why our New Jersey dental team has detailed five useful tips for using teeth whitening strips. They are as follows.
5 Tips for Using Teeth Whitening Strips
- Never use teeth whitening strips before brushing your teeth, but do not use toothpaste at this time. Before you apply white strips, it is critical that you brush your teeth with a wet toothbrush (without fluoridated toothpaste, or without toothpaste at all). This will allow the pores in your teeth to open, thereby making them more receptive to the whitening agent in the whitening strips. Once you brush with a wet toothbrush, rinse your mouth out. After you apply the strips and take them off after some time, then you can brush and floss as normal.
- Use the teeth whitening strips every day, but do not use them in excess of what the product instructs. To get the best results, you must use your teeth whitening strips daily, however, using them more often or for a longer period of time than specified in the instructions can ultimately result in erosion of your teeth enamel, which can lead to sensitivity and other damage.
- Do not touch your gums with the whitening strips. The whitening agent in whitening strips can be harmful to your gums. Particularly, this agent can damage the soft tissue in your gums, which can lead to a wide array of oral health issues down the road.
- Apply whitening strips evenly. Of course, whitening strips will only whiten the areas in which they are placed. To avoid uneven whitening, ensure that you take the time to properly place the strips so that your teeth are evenly whitened.
- After applying the white strips, ensure that you avoid certain foods and beverages for a certain period of time. Coffee, wine, and other flavored/colored beverages should be avoided for at least a couple of hours after applying. The pores in your teeth will still be open and receptive to whatever you put in your mouth for some time after applying whitening strips, so you should work to avoid eating or drinking any dark-colored foods or drinks.
Contact the Dental Associates of Basking Ridge
Dental Associates of Basking Ridge is a compassionate, gentle, and professional state-of-the-art dental practice serving Basking Ridge, Morris & Somerset County. Our office is always ready to greet our patients with a smile, take the time to answer any questions, and provide the quality dental services our patients expect. Please contact us to schedule an appointment. We look forward to serving you!