As you know, good dental hygiene is critical for a healthy smile and a healthy you. Most of us brush at least twice a day, and many of us even use mouthwash at least once a day as well. However, though we all know we should floss every day, many people do not. It’s a bit of an inconvenience, sure, however, how much is taking a couple of extra minutes out of our day to floss worth? Below, our experienced New Jersey dental team has created a short list of just some of the benefits you can reap from flossing on a regular basis. They are as follows:
- Flossing eliminates tartar from your gums and in between your teeth. Tartar and leftover food in the mouth are the primary causes of bad breath, so by flossing regularly, you can virtually eliminate bad breath (as long as you brush and regularly see a dentist as well.)
- Flossing can also help ward off gingivitis, which is a painful inflammation of the gums. Though your gums may bleed when you first start flossing, as long as you continue to floss regularly, they will strengthen, become healthier, and will no longer bleed.
- Good oral health affects the rest of your body. More and more studies are coming out that suggest maintaining solid dental hygiene can actually reduce the risk of developing Alzheimer’s Disease.
- Flossing may also help reduce the amount of oral bacteria in your mouth that causes certain respiratory illnesses, such as bronchitis or pneumonia.
- Gum disease is known to cause diabetes and rheumatoid arthritis as well. By flossing, you reduce your risk of gum disease, and therefore, reduce your risk of developing diabetes or rheumatoid arthritis.
- Particularly in men, studies suggest that regular flossing can also decrease the risk of developing heart disease.
If you have any additional questions regarding proper flossing/brushing techniques, give us a call and schedule an appointment with our friendly, knowledgeable, and highly proficient dental team today. We are always here to help!
Contact the Dental Associates of Basking Ridge
Dental Associates of Basking Ridge is a compassionate, gentle, and professional state-of-the-art dental practice serving Basking Ridge, Morris & Somerset County. Our office is always ready to greet our patients with a smile, take the time to answer any questions, and provide the quality dental services our patients expect. Please contact us to schedule an appointment. We look forward to serving you!