If you have noticed that your breath is not as fresh as you would like, you are probably wondering what might be causing this. To learn the causes of bad breath, continue reading. For assistance with any of your dental matters, contact our experienced dental team to discover how we can assist you.
What causes bad breath?
Bad breath can be caused by many factors. To determine which factor may be affecting you and your smile, read on and reach out to our dental team:
- Foods: Certain foods can simply cause bad breath. For example, onions, coffee, and garlic all have potent smells before and after they have been consumed.
- Tobacco products: Any type of tobacco product is known to cause not-so-nice breath in its users. This covers everything from chew to cigarettes. However, bad breath is, unfortunately, the least of anyone’s concerns who uses these products as they are known to cause a slew of severe health issues, dental and otherwise.
- Poor dental hygiene: When someone neglects to keep up with the dental hygiene, it can show in the way that their breath smells. There is a good chance that someone who does not regularly take care of their teeth and neglects to brush and floss regularly will develop bad breath among other serious oral issues down the road.
- Dry mouth: Dry mouth is a condition that impacts individuals by preventing them from producing a sufficient amount of saliva. Saliva is a natural mouth cleanser. Without a sufficient amount of saliva, bacteria can grow, causing bad breath.
- Certain medications: Certain medications are known to cause bad breath. This is because oftentimes medications can cause dry mouth which we now know causes bad breath. Also, certain medications can break down specific chemicals in the mouth which can also lead to poor breath.
- Additional causes: There are various other causes of bad breath such as throat, mouth, and nose conditions or infections, chronic acid reflux, and even cancer. This is why it is important to see your dentist if you are suffering from chronic bad breath.
If you have any further questions about the causes of bad breath or how our dental team can assist you, do not hesitate to contact our experienced dental office today. We would be happy to help.
Contact The Dental Associates of Basking Ridge
Dental Associates of Basking Ridge is a compassionate, gentle, and professional state-of-the-art dental practice serving Basking Ridge, Morris & Somerset County. Our office is always ready to greet our patients with a smile, take the time to answer any questions, and provide the quality dental services our patients expect. Please contact us to schedule an appointment. We look forward to serving you!