It is no secret that good nutrition is critical to your overall health. What many people don’t realize, however, is that if you have poor dental health, you may not be getting the nutrients your body needs. Here are a few dietary guidelines that can help ensure your oral and overall health are taken care of:
First, be sure to meet your daily requirements of fruits and vegetables. Some of the many benefits of plant-based foods include the following:
- Not only can crunchy fruits and vegetables help remove other food particles from your teeth, but they can also help you produce more saliva that can neutralize acid and rebuild tooth enamel
- You can get iron, calcium, and a number of other vitamins that benefit your oral health from dark, leafy greens such as spinach
- Vitamin C is important to ensure healthy gums and can be found in most fruits
- Foods with magnesium, such as bananas, are a great way to build tooth enamel
- Vitamin A can be found in a variety of fruits that can keep your mouth’s soft membranes healthy
Not only should you be eating plenty of fruits and vegetables, it is also important that you incorporate all food groups to ensure a balanced diet. A few tips for a balanced diet include:
- A great way to neutralize acids, as well as strengthen tooth and bones, is by making sure you get enough calcium and phosphorus.
- Whole grains are a strong source of complex carbohydrates (as opposed to unhealthy refined carbohydrates) that can prevent the inflammation of gums. Healthy fats, found in salmon or nuts, are also good to fight inflammation.
- Legumes and lean proteins are a great source of tooth-healthy vitamins and minerals.
- Try to stay away from the overconsumption of sugary or acidic foods and drinks
It is critical to take good care of your dental health because without a healthy mouth, you can’t get the nutrients you need for a healthy body. On top of healthy eating and drinking habits, be sure to schedule dental checkups every 6 months. If you have any questions about oral health, schedule an appointment with Dental Associates of Basking Ridge today.
Dental Associates of Basking Ridge is a compassionate, gentle, and professional state-of-the-art dental practice serving Basking Ridge, Morris & Somerset County. Our office is always ready to greet our patients with a smile, take the time to answer any questions, and provide the quality dental services our patients expect. Please contact us to schedule an appointment. We look forward to serving you!