Dental veneers – sometimes called porcelain veneers or dental porcelain laminates – are wafer-thin, custom-made shells of tooth-colored materials designed to cover the front surface of teeth to improve their appearance. These shells are bonded to the front of the teeth changing their color, shape, size or length. Under normal circumstances, i.e. as long as your veneers are properly applied and maintained, your natural teeth should not rot under veneers. That being said, you should read on, then contact one of our experienced porcelain veneers dentists located in Basking Ridge and Morristown, NJ to learn the pros and cons of dental porcelain veneers.
What are the advantages of dental porcelain veneers?
The benefits of veneers are as follows:
- They improve the appearance of your smile: Veneers are a great option for anyone with discolored, broken, misshapen or misaligned teeth, all cosmetic issues that will be hidden.
- They are less invasive than crowns: Dental crowns require extensive grinding to shape your natural tooth in preparation for the procedure, whereas veneers are more conservative and require very little removal of enamel.
- They are more stain-resistant: Veneers are more resistant to stains when compared to a treatment like resin composites, meaning it is not vulnerable to the permanent staining that traditionally comes with a daily cup of coffee or tea.
What are the disadvantages of dental porcelain veneers?
The disadvantages of veneers are as follows:
- They are permanent: Once the veneers have been bonded to your teeth, removal is not a practical option. Although they look real, they are still artificial teeth. With proper care, veneers can last anywhere from 16 to 20 years.
- They can cause tooth sensitivity: After your procedure, you may feel sensitivity to hot or cold foods or beverages, because your tooth’s enamel is exposed slightly just before the veneer is placed, which can cause a mild sensation for a few days post-treatment.
- They are still susceptible to damage: While very durable, veneers are not indestructible. Veneers can potentially break, chip or even fall off if you consume hard foods or grind your teeth frequently.
If you would like more information on this or other dental procedures, including the steps involved, please do not hesitate to contact our team today. We have been practicing dentistry for collective decades, so we can treat you with the least discomfort and pain possible.
Contact The Dental Associates of Basking Ridge
Dental Associates of Basking Ridge is a compassionate, gentle, and professional state-of-the-art dental practice serving Basking Ridge, Morris & Somerset County. Our office is always ready to greet our patients with a smile, take the time to answer any questions, and provide the quality dental services our patients expect. Please contact us to schedule an appointment. We look forward to serving you!