As you most likely know, there are few things worse for your health than using tobacco products. Tobacco contains multiple carcinogens, all of which can take years off of your life and significantly increase your chances of developing cancer. As you can imagine, tobacco not only affects your overall health; it also can have a significant impact on your oral health as well, and this is true whether you chew or smoke tobacco. Below, our New Jersey dental team has compiled a short list of all the ways in which tobacco usage can impact oral health in an effort to help you kick the habit.
- To start, it should be noted that smokeless tobacco is absolutely the worst form of tobacco for your oral health. When you chew tobacco, you are essentially repeatedly placing at least 28 cancer-causing chemicals into the same place. Not only can this increase your odds of developing cancer, but it also encourages tooth decay, cavities, and tooth sensitivity.
- Smokeless tobacco is also known to cause cancer of the pancreas and esophagus, as well as the lip, tongue, and mouth.
- Smokeless tobacco will inflame and irritate your gums, and after a while, it will cause your gum line to recede, which will, in turn, most likely result in your teeth becoming loose and eventually falling out.
- Smokeless tobacco often causes white or gray patches to form on gums and in the mouth, known as leukoplakia, which can lead to cancer. Smokeless tobacco will also increase the risk of developing heart disease or having a stroke.
- You should also understand that cigarettes, cigars, and all other forms of smokable tobacco can increase your chances of developing various oral health issues, including stained teeth, bad breath, a dulled sense of taste and smell.
- In many cases, smokers will develop additional oral conditions such as “coated tongue” or “smoker’s melanosis.”
- Finally, you should understand that smoking tobacco, in general, will drastically increase your chances of contracting oral cancer.
We understand that quitting tobacco usage is not easy, however, it can drastically save you in the long run. Do what’s best for you and your loved ones and quit today. It may be the smartest decision you ever make.
Contact the Dental Associates of Basking Ridge
Dental Associates of Basking Ridge is a compassionate, gentle, and professional state-of-the-art dental practice serving Basking Ridge, Morris & Somerset County. Our office is always ready to greet our patients with a smile, take the time to answer any questions, and provide the quality dental services our patients expect. Please contact us to schedule an appointment. We look forward to serving you!