As you know, oral health is a large part of overall health, and in many ways, the two are directly connected. Just as many of us take multivitamins for our overall health, we should also begin to consider which vitamins are best for our oral health as well. Maintaining oral health is a critical part of keeping happy, healthy, and having a wonderful smile to show the world. This is why below, our experienced New Jersey dental team has compiled a short bulleted list of some of the most useful vitamins for optimal dental health. The best vitamins for dental health are as follows:
- Vitamin A: Vitamin A helps maintain healthy tissues and saliva flow in the mouth.
- Calcium: As you know, our teeth are composed of calcium, just as our bones are. So, it only makes sense to ensure you have your recommended daily dose of calcium, as this can help ensure that your tooth enamel stays strong.
- Iron & Zinc: Both zinc and iron have the ability to reduce bacteria buildup in the mouth, which, in turn, helps decrease the risk of you contracting a bacterial infection in your mouth. Additionally, zinc will also help reduce plaque buildup along the gum line.
- Magnesium: Magnesium strengthens tooth enamel and decreases the risk of getting cavities.
- Vitamin C: While the best defense against gingivitis and other infections in the mouth is simply brushing and flossing regularly (maintaining good oral health), the truth is, Vitamin C is not only great for your overall health, but it boosts your immune system and decreases the chances of you developing gingivitis. Just know that taking Vitamin C is, of course, not a substitute for daily brushing and flossing.
- Vitamin D: Calcium and Vitamin D largely go hand-in-hand, as Vitamin D helps increase the amount of calcium absorbed by your body. Therefore, it is a good idea to take a supplement that has both of these vitamins together.
For most people, these are all fantastic vitamins that they should regularly incorporate into their diets. However, you should understand that for optimal dental health, the most important things you can do are brush, floss, and see your dentist regularly. If you have any additional questions, give us a call today. We are always here to help.
Contact the Dental Associates of Basking Ridge
Dental Associates of Basking Ridge is a compassionate, gentle, and professional state-of-the-art dental practice serving Basking Ridge, Morris & Somerset County. Our office is always ready to greet our patients with a smile, take the time to answer any questions, and provide the quality dental services our patients expect. Please contact us to schedule an appointment. We look forward to serving you!