Many of us take vitamins on a daily basis to help our overall bodily function, but did you know that many vitamins are actually extremely beneficial to your oral health as well? Read on and speak with our experienced New Jersey dental team to learn more about the best vitamins for a healthy smile.
- Calcium: Calcium is one of the most important vitamins for optimal oral health. To start, our bones and teeth are composed of calcium, so taking in lots of calcium is critical for strong teeth enamel.
- Vitamin D: Taking Vitamin D increases the rate of absorption of calcium, which, as previously stated, is essential to any healthy smile.
- Vitamin C: Vitamin C helps your oral health, as well as your overall health. Taking a sufficient amount of Vitamin C daily will boost your immune system and decrease your chances of contracting gingivitis. (That being said, the best defense against gingivitis is regular brushing and flossing.)
- Iron: Taking regular iron reduces bacteria buildup in your mouth, thereby reducing your chances of contracting a serious oral infection.
- Zinc: Zinc also fights bacteria buildup and decreases the amount of plaque buildup on your gum line.
- Vitamin A: Vitamin A is known for helping maintain healthy tissues and saliva flow in the mouth.
- Magnesium: Magnesium both decreases the risk of getting cavities and helps strengthen tooth enamel, not to mention the various other body-wide health benefits it possesses.
While these are all great tools you can use to improve your oral health, the best thing you can do for your teeth is brush and floss them regularly, and, of course, see your dentist every 6 months. If you would like to schedule an appointment, please do not hesitate to call our office today. We are always here to help.
Contact the Dental Associates of Basking Ridge
Dental Associates of Basking Ridge is a compassionate, gentle, and professional state-of-the-art dental practice serving Basking Ridge, Morris & Somerset County. Our office is always ready to greet our patients with a smile, take the time to answer any questions, and provide the quality dental services our patients expect. Please contact us to schedule an appointment. We look forward to serving you!