If you’re like most people, you’re sensitive to the smell of bad breath. For this reason, you’re also most likely conscious of your own breath. Unfortunately, sometimes, even when we brush and floss regularly, we can still have bad breath, making it an even more perplexing issue. Please continue reading and reach out to our experienced New Jersey dental team to learn more about how bad breath happens and how you can work to avoid it.
What are the main causes of bad breath?
- Foods: Everyone knows that there are certain foods that simply cause bad breath. For example, garlic, onions, and coffee all have very potent smells before consumption, and this is true after consumption as well.
- Tobacco products: All types of tobacco products, from chew to cigarettes, are known to cause bad breath in those who use them. Unfortunately, bad breath should be the least of anyone’s concern who uses such products, as they can cause a slew of very serious health issues, dental or otherwise.
- Poor dental hygiene: As you know, it is so important to take regular care of your teeth. This means brushing and flossing regularly. Mouthwash containing fluoride can also help if used on a daily basis. When people neglect their general dental hygiene, there is a very good chance that they will develop bad breath and other serious oral issues down the road.
- Dry mouth: Dry mouth is a condition that prevents individuals from producing a sufficient amount of saliva. Saliva naturally cleans the mouth, and without a sufficient amount of saliva, more bacteria would grow. Dry mouth is one of the main causes of bad breath. Fortunately, it is treatable.
- Certain medications: Various medications are known to cause bad breath. Oftentimes, medications can cause dry mouth, which leads to bad breath, and in other cases, medications can break down certain chemicals in the mouth, leading to bad breath.
- Additional causes: There are several other potential causes of bad breath. For example, various throat, mouth, and even nose conditions or infections can affect someone’s breath. Chronic acid reflux is another common cause of bad breath. Even cancer, in some cases, causes bad breath, which is why it is so important to see your dentist as soon as you can if you are someone with chronic bad breath.
Contact The Dental Associates of Basking Ridge
Dental Associates of Basking Ridge is a compassionate, gentle, and professional state-of-the-art dental practice serving Basking Ridge, Morris & Somerset County. Our office is always ready to greet our patients with a smile, take the time to answer any questions, and provide the quality dental services our patients expect. Please contact us to schedule an appointment. We look forward to serving you!