Continue reading and contact our experienced general dentists located in Basking Ridge and Morristown, NJ to learn what causes gum disease, its symptoms and the treatment options your dentist may explore.
What are the causes of gum disease?
Plaque is the primary cause of gum disease, but there are other factors that can contribute to periodontal disease. Those other factors include:
- Poor oral hygiene, i.e. not brushing and flossing each day, may lead to the development of gingivitis.
- A family history of dental disease may result in gum disease for patients.
- Because these diseases interfere with the immune system, gum disease may be caused by illnesses such as cancer or HIV. Since it affects your body’s ability to use blood sugar, diabetes may also negatively impact your gums. Furthermore, patients with diabetes have a higher risk of developing infections, cavities and periodontal disease.
- Medication that decreases the flow of saliva can negatively impact oral health.
- Puberty, menopause, pregnancy, menstruation and other hormonal changes can cause periodontal disease because each of them can make the gums more sensitive and ease the development of gingivitis.
- Smoking makes it more difficult for gum tissue to repair itself.
How do you know you have gum disease?
The signs and symptoms of gum disease are as follows:
- Bleeding gums after brushing
- Bad breath
- Swollen and red gums
- Receding gums
- Bad taste in the mouth
- Loose or shifting teeth
- Deep pockets between teeth and gums
Before you make any decisions, you should visit our team for confirmation. One of our skilled dentists will check for the following factors in order to make a diagnosis of gum disease:
- Gum bleeding, swelling, firmness and pocket depth
- The jawbone, to detect the breakdown of bone surrounding the teeth
- Teeth movement and sensitivity
- Teeth alignment
How do you treat gum disease?
Many factors will determine what course of treatment your dentist puts you on. It is his or her mission to promote the reattachment of healthy gums to teeth as well as reduce the risk of infection, the depth of pockets and to stop disease progression. Treatment options range from nonsurgical therapies that control bacterial growth to surgery to restore supportive tissue.
For more information about the possible procedures and how our team can best serve you, please do not hesitate to reach out to us. Do not let your gum disease fester. Please call us today.
Contact The Dental Associates of Basking Ridge
Dental Associates of Basking Ridge is a compassionate, gentle, and professional state-of-the-art dental practice serving Basking Ridge, Morris & Somerset County. Our office is always ready to greet our patients with a smile, take the time to answer any questions, and provide the quality dental services our patients expect. Please contact us to schedule an appointment. We look forward to serving you!