Compassionate Family Dentists Serving Morris & Somerset County
Over the course of your life, you may learn that one of your teeth is worn down, needs a root canal, or has been broken. In these situations, your dentist may recommend that a dental crown is placed over the tooth to protect it. The experienced team at Dental Associates of Basking Ridge will ensure that any procedure we perform is done properly and with great care. If it is determined that you need a crown, we will explain the procedure to you, walk you through your options, and help make the process as quick and easy as possible. If you need a skilled team of dentists and hygienists in Somerset County, New Jersey, contact our office today to schedule an appointment with Dental Associates of Basking Ridge.
What is a Crown?
During a dental appointment, your dentist may notice an issue with one of your teeth that may require the protection of a dental crown. A dental crown not only covers the tooth to protect it from any further issue but it also improves the tooth’s cosmetic appearance. You may need a dental crown in the following situations:
- If one of your teeth has been broken
- If one of your teeth has been worn down due to a weakened enamel structure
- If you have a root canal done on that tooth
- If you have an implant that needs to be covered
Types of Dental Crowns
When you are informed that you will need a dental crown, your dentist should explain your options in terms of the materials used for the crown. There are four standard options that are used for dental crowns:
- Ceramic crowns: these crowns are porcelain-based and work best for teeth in the front of your mouth because they blend in best with your natural teeth.
- Porcelain fused to metal crowns: when porcelain is fused to a metal structure, the crown is much stronger than just porcelain alone and prevents leakage but may require that a greater amount of the tooth is removed.
- Gold alloys: crowns made of gold alloys such as gold and copper are beneficial because they do not wear away the surrounding teeth and provide a strong crown for the tooth.
- Base metal alloys: crowns made of base metal alloys are highly resistant to corrosion, do not require a lot of the tooth structure to be removed, and are resistant to wear.
Benefits of a Crown
There are a variety of different benefits to installing a prosthetic crown upon a dentist’s recommendation. While the intention of a crown is to strengthen a tooth that has been damaged, it may also improve the appearance of your tooth, the tooth’s bite, and the alignment of your tooth.
Contact Dental Associates of Basking Ridge
If you believe that you have a dental issue that may require a crown, it is important to speak with your dentist. Your dentist can explain the procedure in depth, discuss which material may be best for your situation, and complete the procedure successfully. The experienced dentists and hygienists at Dental Associates of Basking Ridge would be happy to assist you with any installation, adjustment, or replacement of a crown. Contact our office today to schedule an appointment.