Compassionate Family Dentists Serving Morris & Somerset County
There are a number of different reasons that your dentist may inform you that you need to have one or more teeth extracted. Though this may cause some people to worry, the process is routine and an experienced dentist can make this as painless and easy as possible. Dental Associates of Basking Ridge has proudly served clients throughout Somerset County, New Jersey since 1947. Our experienced and knowledgeable staff are here to help when you need a tooth removed. Contact our office today to schedule an appointment with one of our experienced dentists.
Types of Extractions
When your dentist informs you that you need a tooth removed, it is important that you are informed about the procedure that lies ahead. There are two types of tooth extractions that may be considered depending on your situation. These include:
- Simple Extractions: When a dentist can see the tooth in your mouth visibly, they will loosen it with an instrument and remove the tooth with forceps. You will likely receive an injectable, local anesthetic to numb the area.
- Surgical Extractions: Sometimes, a tooth may still be inside the gum or may have broken off at the gum line, making it impossible to conduct a simple extraction. The tooth may have to be cut in half or have some of the surrounding bone removed in order to make the extraction possible. This procedure may be done by either your dentist or by an oral surgeon. You will typically receive a local anesthetic as well as anesthesia through an IV. Some patients require general anesthesia, which is especially common for children.
Why Do Teeth Need Extracting?
There are a wide variety of reasons that you may need to have a tooth extracted. For example, tooth extractions are common for children who are preparing for braces or simply need to make more room for their incoming adult teeth. Other reasons that you may need to have your tooth extracted include the following:
- To make room for incoming teeth
- Severe tooth decay, which is common among cancer patients
- The baby tooth didn’t fall out so the adult tooth can’t come in
- Wisdom teeth removal
Wisdom Tooth Extraction
While some people are lucky enough to have their wisdom teeth come in without any issue, the vast majority of people in their teens and early twenties find themselves needing to have their wisdom teeth removed. You may either have all of your wisdom teeth removed at once or have one side of your mouth done at a time. Of course, this all depends on your particular situation. Some wisdom tooth surgeries are more complicated because of teeth that are impacted in the gums. If you are experiencing pain in the area of your mouth where wisdom teeth are located, speak with your dentist to schedule the removal of your wisdom tooth before any further issues occur.
Contact Dental Associates of Basking Ridge
If you are in need of an experienced team of dental professionals, whether for a routine cleaning or for a more serious matter such as tooth extraction, you can count on Dental Associates of Basking Ridge. Our knowledgeable staff of dentists and hygienists can help make the tooth extraction process as easy as possible, just as we have always done for patients since 1947. Contact our office today to schedule an appointment.