Compassionate Family Dentists Serving Morris & Somerset County
When one of your teeth starts to decay, your dentist will likely recommend a filling. This is a relatively common process, typically utilized after detecting a cavity or another type of decay. Fillings can help to repair your tooth and restore it to its regular function once again. If you need a filling or believe that one of your fillings needs to be repaired or replaced, it is important to speak with an experienced dental professional. The team at Dental Associates of Basking Ridge is comprised of skilled dentists and hygienists who have years of experience helping patients who need fillings. To schedule an appointment with our team of dental professionals, call our office today.
What are fillings?
When bacteria enters a tooth, it can cause the tooth to decay over time. If a dentist identifies that a tooth has already begun to decay, they may recommend a filling to prevent any further tooth decay. A filling makes it so no further bacteria is able to enter the tooth and the tooth can return to its regular function. There are a number of different types of materials used for fillings that your dentist may consider. Some of the material options are as follows:
- Composite fillings: these fillings are used on visible teeth because they are made of a mixture of fine glass and plastic, ultimately matching the color of a natural tooth. This option is much less expensive than some of the other filling options, like gold.
- Amalgam fillings: these fillings are typically used for teeth in the back of the mouth because they do not match the color of a natural tooth. They typically last at least ten years and are very durable.
- Gold fillings: these fillings are the most durable type of filling but they come at a much higher price tag than many of the other options.
- Ceramic fillings: these fillings look the most natural because the porcelain used is the same color as the tooth. Ceramic fillings are more stain resistant than some other options but are also more expensive and more brittle.
- Glass Ionomer fillings: this filling is very strong and is typically used when a person has a lot of decay in the area of the tooth that is below the gum. It can also be used to fill cavities in baby teeth.
What to Expect
When you go to the dentist to have a filling put in place of a cavity, be prepared to undergo some sort of anesthetic. Your dentist will remove decay from your tooth with a drill or a laser before placing the filling. Be aware that after the filling, you may find that your tooth is more sensitive to pressure, cold liquids, or sweets for up to two weeks.
Contact Dental Associates of Basking Ridge
If you are experiencing tooth pain due to a cavity or believe you may need a filling installed or replaced, it is important to speak with a dental professional that can help you resolve the issue. The dentists and hygienists at Dental Associates of Basking Ridge have years of experience working with clients and determining which type of filling would be best for your situation. Give our office a call today to schedule an appointment.