Having pearly white teeth can boost your confidence and brighten your smile. That said, many people look for ways to whiten their teeth. Healthy, white teeth come from maintaining strong enamel. Please continue reading and contact our Professional Fluoride Treatments/Dentists Located in Basking Ridge & Morristown, NJ, to learn how we can help you strengthen your enamel.
What is Tooth Enamel?
When you look at your teeth, tooth enamel is the protective, shiny, white outer layer that covers the underlying tissue. Essentially, it shields the innermost lawyers of your tooth from damage. Specifically, it protects the dentin and tooth pulp from tooth decay, erosion, infection, and sensitivity. This may come as a surprise, but tooth enamel is the hardest substance in the human body, even harder than bone. This is because it’s made up of several minerals. The main mineral is hydroxyapatite, a type of calcium phosphate in an ultra-strong crystal form. However, other minerals include carbonate, fluoride, magnesium, and sodium.
While tooth enamel is incredibly durable, it can break down over time as dental plaque builds up. Acids from foods and bacteria in your mouth can all contribute to tooth enamel loss. If your enamel deteriorates, the inner layers of your teeth will be exposed to the foods and drinks you consume. Ultimately, this makes your teeth more vulnerable to cavities and allows your teeth to stain more easily. Therefore, take the necessary steps to strengthen your tooth enamel.
How can I strengthen it?
While you can’t “regrow” tooth enamel naturally or artificially, you can improve your tooth enamel through remineralization. This process helps replace lost minerals to keep your teeth strong and prevent tooth disease. The following remedies can help strengthen and protect your teeth:
- Eat non-acidic foods: Certain foods are better for your enamel. This includes calcium-rich foods like dairy products, leafy greens, and nuts. Certain fruits and vegetables and black tea can also be used to restore your tooth enamel naturally.
- Avoid foods and drinks that stain enamel: Certain types of food and drinks, like red wine, tomatoes, and coffee, are known for staining enamel. Please avoid them; their acidity can discolor and weaken your enamel.
- Use fluoride toothpaste: Having good oral hygiene is the most important thing you can do to prevent enamel erosion. However, using pronamel fluoride toothpaste can be particularly beneficial in restoring enamel. Professional fluoride treatment performed by your dentist can also help repair enamel.
- Drink water: Avoid sugary drinks like soda or juice because acidic drinks wear away enamel. Increase your water intake, as it will help rinse saliva and bacteria from your teeth.
- Take supplements: If you have a calcium deficiency, taking vitamin supplements containing all your recommended daily allowance can be beneficial. Alongside taking vitamin supplements, you should maintain a balanced diet.
For more information on strengthening your enamel, please don’t hesitate to contact our knowledgeable staff at the Dental Associates of Basking Ridge. We are prepared to help you maintain a healthy and stunning smile.