Many parents may wonder when it is appropriate and necessary to bring their child to see the dentist for the first time. To learn the best time for your child to get started with regular dentist visits, continue reading, and reach out to our experienced dental team for assistance. We would be happy to help you with any questions or concerns you may have.
What is the right age to bring my child to the dentist?
The first time you should bring your child to the dentist is around 10 months of age or within six months of the first tooth coming in. The first visit will be short and sweet and will only last about 30 to 45 minutes. The visit may include a full exam. An initial exam will include an inspection of the jaw, teeth, gums, bite, and oral tissues. This is done to examine the growth and development of the mouth and teeth. During an initial visit, your child may have a gentle cleaning to remove any plaque, tartar, and stains. Your dentist can also supply you with information and tips regarding pacifier habits, finger-sucking habits, mouth cleaning, tooth decay, teething, and infant feeding practices.
After your child’s first visit, you can expect to bring them to the dentist every six months, just like adults. You will also be instructed by your dentist on how to properly clean and care for baby teeth such as flossing and if they will need fluoride. The following are further tips to consider to protect your child’s teeth:
- Before any teeth come in, you can still clean the mouth with a clean and damp cloth to cleanse the gums
- Do not give children a bottle of milk, juice, or any other sweetened liquid before bed or before they go down for a nap to prevent baby bottle tooth decay
- Assist your children with teeth brushing until they reach the age of seven or eight
- As soon as your child’s first tooth appears, it is time to start implementing tooth brushing with a small soft-bristled toothbrush
- Limit foods that may lead to tooth decay such as hard or sticky candies, sweetened drinks, and more
If you have any additional questions about your child’s first dental visit, do not hesitate to reach out to our experienced dental team at the Dental Associates of Basking Ridge.
Contact The Dental Associates of Basking Ridge
Dental Associates of Basking Ridge is a compassionate, gentle, and professional state-of-the-art dental practice serving Basking Ridge, Morris & Somerset County. Our office is always ready to greet our patients with a smile, take the time to answer any questions, and provide the quality dental services our patients expect. Please contact us to schedule an appointment. We look forward to serving you!