Having bad breath is embarrassing. We all try our best to avoid it, but sometimes it’s hard to tell what is truly causing it to begin with. Please continue reading and speak with our knowledgeable New Jersey dental team to learn more about some of the most common causes of bad breath and what you can do to prevent it.
What are the most common causes of bad breath?
- Poor dental hygiene: This is perhaps the most common cause of bad breath. Neglecting to brush and floss daily allows food particles to accumulate in your mouth, causing bacteria, plaque, and bad breath. Simply taking better care of your mouth on a daily basis and having regular dental checkups goes a long way.
- Dry mouth: If you have dry mouth, you will have less saliva, which cleans your mouth. With less saliva, bacteria remains and gives you bad breath. Many people have dry mouth at night and wake up with “morning breath” because of it.
- Foods: Various foods and drinks, such as coffee, onions, garlic, cheese, and more can affect your breath, even after you brush your teeth. When foods are eaten, they enter your bloodstream, then your lungs, and will actually affect your breath afterward.
- Tobacco products: Both smokeless tobacco and cigarettes, cigars, etc. are all significant contributors to gum disease and bad breath (not to mention various types of cancer).
- Certain medications: Believe it or not, medications are another significant cause of bad breath, either by the breakdown of certain chemicals in your mouth or by causing dry mouth which then affects your breath.
- Other causes: Mouth, nose and throat conditions/infections can cause bad breath. Additionally, certain types of cancer can also cause bad breath. Another fairly common cause of bad breath is chronic acid reflux.
If you have chronic bad breath, please do not hesitate to give our experienced Basking Ridge dental team a call. We are here to help.
Contact the Dental Associates of Basking Ridge
Dental Associates of Basking Ridge is a compassionate, gentle, and professional state-of-the-art dental practice serving Basking Ridge, Morris & Somerset County. Our office is always ready to greet our patients with a smile, take the time to answer any questions, and provide the quality dental services our patients expect. Please contact us to schedule an appointment. We look forward to serving you!