It is common knowledge that some foods can discolor your teeth and darken your smile. However, some foods can naturally whiten your teeth. Schedule a visit with our adept general dentistry/dentists located in Basking Ridge & Morristown, NJ, to learn what food and drinks you should consume to brighten your smile and improve your oral hygiene.
What foods can naturally brighten your tooth enamel?
As mentioned above, food and beverages such as coffee, tea, and soda can stain your teeth. However, some foods can help whiten your teeth over time. It is critical to note that these foods are not as effective as professional teeth whitening. However, if you are someone who has dental anxiety or is looking for a cheaper way to enhance the appearance of your smile, you may want to consider eating the following foods more often:
- Strawberries and watermelon. These fruits contain malic acid. Since they have a high malic acid concentration, they work like a natural teeth whitener. These enzymes remove tooth discoloration over time. Malic acid is often an ingredient in toothpaste.
- Apples, celery, and carrots. Eating these crunchy fruits and vegetables can eliminate plaque and bacteria from your teeth. They are a good source of vitamins and minerals, strengthening your teeth and improving your smile. They also act as a natural stain removal by increasing saliva production.
- Oranges and pineapples. Tart fruits like these can increase saliva production, naturally removing bacteria from the teeth.
- Leafy greens. Spinach, romaine lettuce, and kale all contain folic acid. Folic acid is a B9 vitamin that can help reduce inflammation in the gums and make the teeth more resilient to plaque and bacteria.
- Yogurt, milk, and cheese. Dairy products contain lactic acid. Lactic acid protects teeth against decay. Cheese, in particular, contains casein, a protein that helps repair tooth enamel. It also increases the production of saliva, which helps keep the mouth clean.
- Water. This may not surprise many people, but water is vital to dental health. Water contains proteins and minerals that help prevent tooth decay and periodontal disease. The more water you drink, the whiter your smile will be.
- Baking soda. An excellent alternative to toothpaste is baking soda. It contains alkalinity, and baking soda can remove plaque from the tooth’s surface. This can help eliminate tooth discoloration.
Eating these foods won’t automatically change your teeth color. However, over time, they can help you maintain good oral hygiene. Whether you want to use natural remedies or have your teeth professionally whitened, contact Dental Associates of Basking Ridge. With years of experience, our dentists can help you brighten your smile.