If you have discovered that one of your teeth is worn down, needs a root canal, or has been broken, your dentist may recommend placing a dental crown over the tooth to protect it. If it is determined that you need a crown, our experienced dental team will explain the procedure with you, step by step, walk you through the process ahead, and help make the process as quick and easy as possible. Dental Associates of Basking Ridge will ensure that any procedure we perform is done properly and with great care.
What is a crown?
A dental crown covers the tooth to protect it from further complications. Your dentist may notice an issue with one of your teeth that may require protection with a dental crown. A dental crown can also improve the tooth’s cosmetic appearance. The following situations may prompt the need for a dental crown:
- If you have a root canal done on that tooth
- If one of your teeth has been broken
- If you have an implant that needs to be covered
- If one of your teeth has been worn down due to a weakened enamel structure
What are the different types of dental crowns?
Your dentist should explain your options in terms of the materials used for the crown. The following are the four standard options that are used for dental crowns:
- Base metal alloys: Base metal alloys are highly resistant to corrosion, do not require a lot of the tooth structure to be removed, and are resistant to wear.
- Ceramic crowns: Ceramic crowns are porcelain-based. This option is commonly used for teeth in the front of your mouth because they blend in best with your natural teeth.
- Porcelain fused to metal crowns: When porcelain is fused to a metal structure, the crown is much stronger than just porcelain alone and prevents leakage. However, this option may require that a greater amount of the tooth is removed.
- Gold alloys: Crowns made of gold alloys such as gold and copper do not wear away the surrounding teeth. They also provide a strong crown for the tooth.
What are the benefits of a crown?
When a dentist recommends the installation of a prosthetic crown for their patient, it can offer a variety of different benefits including the following:
- Strengthen a tooth that has been damaged
- Improve the appearance of your tooth
- The tooth’s bite
- The alignment of your tooth
Contact The Dental Associates of Basking Ridge
Dental Associates of Basking Ridge is a compassionate, gentle, and professional state-of-the-art dental practice serving Basking Ridge, Morris & Somerset County. Our office is always ready to greet our patients with a smile, take the time to answer any questions, and provide the quality dental services our patients expect. Please contact us to schedule an appointment. We look forward to serving you!