We all crave something. Whether you have a sweet tooth or are always hunkering for something salty, food is one of the main joys of life. That being said, as with many things we enjoy, we usually need to have a balance between health and pleasure. The same thing goes for dental health. That being said, while you can, of course, eat your foods of choice from time to time, you must always bear your health in mind. This is why, below, our experienced New Jersey dental team has composed a short list of some of the worst foods for your teeth so you can ensure you limit your intake. The worst foods for your teeth are as follows:
- Bread: Though not sweet to the taste, once the starches in bread/potato chips are broken down into sugar, they can cause serious cavities if left to sit in between your teeth.
- Carbonated Soft Drinks/Sports/Energy Drinks: These drinks are all acidic, sugary, and can lead to the breakdown of tooth enamel and cavities. They will also stain your teeth after prolonged use.
- Coffee: Coffee is another acidic drink that will break down tooth enamel, and, of course, stain your teeth. Try to brush your teeth after drinking coffee!
- Citrus: Again, acidic foods are bad for your teeth. While oranges and other citrus fruits are packed with Vitamin C, you should always do your best to brush and floss immediately after consuming.
- Alcohol: Alcohol leads to dry mouth, which is the lack of production of saliva. Saliva regulates a large part of what goes on in our mouths, and by regularly consuming alcohol, you harm that balance. Furthermore, certain alcohols, such as wine, notoriously stain teeth.
- Hard Candy: Not only are hard candies loaded with sugar, but they are also sticky and will stay in your mouth for a prolonged period of time. Additionally, if you try and chew a hard candy, it may even chip your tooth! These are just two of the most serious reasons why you should avoid hard candies altogether, if possible.
If you have any additional questions for our experienced New Jersey dental team, feel free to give us a call and schedule an appointment today! We are always here to help.
Contact the Dental Associates of Basking Ridge
Dental Associates of Basking Ridge is a compassionate, gentle, and professional state-of-the-art dental practice serving Basking Ridge, Morris & Somerset County. Our office is always ready to greet our patients with a smile, take the time to answer any questions, and provide the quality dental services our patients expect. Please contact us to schedule an appointment. We look forward to serving you!