Like many parents, you may be wondering at age it is appropriate and necessary to start bringing your child for their first dental check-ups. Please read on, then contact one of our experienced dentists located in Basking Ridge and Morristown, NJ to learn when you should start bringing your child to the dentist.
How old does your child have to be to see the dentist?
Around 10 months of age or within six months of the first tooth coming in is generally a suitable time to bring your child to his or her first visit with the dentist. Lasting only about 30 to 45 minutes, this initial visit will be short and sweet, although it may include a full exam. In this initial full exam, the dentist will inspect your child’s jaw, teeth, gums, bite and oral tissues. The dentist does this in order to examine the growth and development of your child’s mouth and teeth. Additionally, your dentist may conduct a gentle cleaning to remove any plaque, tartar and stains, as well as provide you with information and advice in regards to pacifier habits, finger-sucking habits, mouth cleaning, tooth decay, teething and infant feeding practices.
Just like adults, you should bring your child to the dentist every six months. During these visits, your dentist will instruct you and your child on how to properly clean and care for baby teeth, including flossing and whether or not he or she will need fluoride treatments. Further tips to consider while protecting your child’s teeth include the following:
- Before any teeth come in, you can still clean the mouth with a clean and damp cloth to cleanse the gums
- Do not give the child a bottle of milk, juice or any other sweetened liquid before bed or before they go down for a nap to prevent baby bottle tooth decay
- Assist your child with teeth brushing until he or she reaches the age of seven or eight
- As soon as your child’s first tooth appears, it is time to start implementing tooth brushing with a small soft-bristled toothbrush
- Limit foods that may lead to tooth decay such as hard or sticky candies, sweetened drinks and more
If you have a good working relationship with your dentist, it might be a good idea to bring your child in for mock visits, just so they can learn that visiting the dentist is not inherently scary or painful.
For additional information about your child’s initial visit, you should reach out to our qualified dental team at the Dental Associates of Basking Ridge.
Contact The Dental Associates of Basking Ridge
Dental Associates of Basking Ridge is a compassionate, gentle, and professional state-of-the-art dental practice serving Basking Ridge, Morris & Somerset County. Our office is always ready to greet our patients with a smile, take the time to answer any questions, and provide the quality dental services our patients expect. Please contact us to schedule an appointment. We look forward to serving you!